Yesterday there was a single-vehicle crash involving a motorcycle that drove off of the roadway causing life-threatening injuries to the driver. Later that evening, the driver of the motorcycle died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the traffic crash.
- TIME: 2:57 pm
- LOCATION: 2800 block CR 884 (Veterans Pkwy W)
- VEHICLE 1: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide motorcycle, Florida tag# XV9D.
- DRIVER 1: Shawn Michael O’Brien
- DRIVER 1 INJURIES: O’Brien suffered fatal injuries as a result of the crash.
Vehicle 1 was traveling southeast in the 2800 block of CR 884 (Veterans Pkwy W) in the right outside lane. Vehicle 1 was traveling at a very high rate of speed as it approached a curve in the roadway. Vehicle 1 was traveling too fast to negotiate the curve. Vehicle 1 left the roadway to the right and entered a grassy area. Vehicle 1 traveled approximately 490 feet where the motorcycle fell over in the grass. Vehicle 1 continued tumbling/sliding along the grass and crossed over a bicycle/pedestrian walkway. Driver 1 was ejected from the vehicle. Vehicle 1 continued tumbling/sliding until it came to final rest in the grass approximately 700 feet from where it originally left the roadway.
Driver 1 suffered life-threatening injuries and was trauma alerted to Lee Memorial Hospital via ambulance. Driver 1 later died at the hospital as a result of his injuries.
This traffic crash IS alcohol/drug-related. The next-of-kin HAS BEEN notified. Driver 1 was NOT wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.
***There are 13 traffic fatalities and 19 MCI usages in our city in 2019. (There is 1 fatality that is ruled “medical” and the cause of death is not related to injuries in the traffic crash.)
- 2019= 13 Traffic Fatalities, 4 DUI related (19 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled deaths)
- 2018= 8 Traffic Fatalities, 3 DUI related (30 MCI usages
)(this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 3 medical ruled deaths)
- 2017= 17 Traffic fatalities, 8 DUI related (46 MCI usages)
- 2016= 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (35 MCI usages)
- 2015= 13 Traffic fatalities, 9 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled death)
- 2014= 10 Traffic fatalities, 5 DUI related (40 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical ruled death)
- 2013= 19 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 3 medical ruled deaths)
- 2012= 10 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (21 MCI usages)