Over the past decade there is more and more research on how important it is for women over 40 to do resistant training. Most women will hit the gym and just do cardio, or, if they don’t go to a fitness center, will just walk or run outside and focus on cardio, not weights.
The benefits of women that do weight training far outweigh the ones that just do cardio.
Here is why!
- You will loose body fat!
- You will be much stronger without being bulky.
- You will speed up your metabolism. (Each pound of muscle you gain will help you burn up to 50 calories more a day.)
- You will decrease your risk of osteoporosis. (Weight training will help build bone density which will help fight osteoporosis.)
- You will increase your strength to help you with other activities such as golf, tennis, skiing, biking.
- You will lose inches, which means a smaller dress size! Muscle weighs more than fat, but it is dense. So throw the scale away and go by how your clothes fit.
- It will help lower your blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes. Strength training lowers your blood pressure and gives your heart a break.
The best part is you can do it anytime, anywhere! Just pick up a pair of dumbbells and start lifting!