Cape Coral Police are investigating a serious traffic crash over the weekend that sent a motorcyclist to the hospital.
On Saturday morning around 9 am officers responded to a motorcycle crash at Chiquita Blvd and Pine Island Rd (SR78W). The single rider sustained life-threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. A Major Traffic Crash investigator (MCI), Drug Recognition Expert (DRE), Victims Advocate, and Forensic Technician responded to the scene.
The MCI synopsis is below:
Vehicle 1 was traveling west on SR 78 SW Pine Island Rd in the left turn lane approaching the intersection with Chiquita Blvd S. Vehicle 1 moved to the right from the left turn lane into the inside west lane of SR 78 SW Pine Island Rd and continued traveling west. Witnesses said the traffic light for west travel changed to yellow and Vehicle 1 began to brake. While braking, the rear of Vehicle 1 rotated counter-clockwise, at which time the vehicle fell to its right side and skidded to a stop in the west inside lane of SR 78 SW Pine Island Rd near the intersection with Chiquita Blvd S.
The motorcyclist came to final rest near the motorcycle in the west inside lane of SR 78 SW Pine Island Rd. The motorcyclist suffered life-threatening injuries in the crash and was trauma alerted to a local hospital. The motorcyclist is currently in a critical but stable condition.
The motorcyclist WAS NOT wearing a helmet. Alcohol/drugs ARE NOT a factor in the traffic crash; investigation on-going. Next-of-kin HAVE BEEN notified.
***There are 3 traffic fatalities and 15 MCI usages in our city in 2018. (There is 1 fatality that is ruled “medical” and the cause of death is not related to injuries in the traffic crash.
This 1 “medical” fatality is not included in the number of traffic fatalities).***
- 2018= 3 Traffic fatalities, 2 DUI related (15 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled death)
- 2017= 17 Traffic fatalities, 8 DUI related (46 MCI usages)
- 2016= 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (35 MCI usages)
- 2015= 13 Traffic fatalities, 9 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 1 medical ruled death)
- 2014= 10 Traffic fatalities, 5 DUI related (40 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical ruled death)
- 2013= 19 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (43 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 3 medical ruled deaths)
- 2012= 10 Traffic fatalities, 6 DUI related (21 MCI usages)
- 2011= 11 Traffic fatalities, 4 DUI related (24 MCI usages) (this number DOES NOT INCLUDE 2 medical and 1 suicide ruled deaths)