2 cups all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (not runny or whipped)
8 oz cream cheese, softened (not whipped)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 jars (12-14 oz each) maraschino cherries
- In small bowl, mix together flour and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture to large bowl and blend just until it is combined. Don’t overwork the dough.
- Form dough in to a ball and flatten into a disk about 2 in thick.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 in thickness on a cutting board or flat surface sprinkled with powdered sugar. Save some of the sugar for later.
- Using a ruler for accuracy, cut dough in to 2×2 in squares with a knife.
- Place one maraschino cherry in the center of each square and fold two sides together so that they meet up and cover the cherry. Be sure to secure dough to prevent opening up during baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for about 10 minutes or until bottoms are just lightly browned. Do not over bake.
- Let cookies cool on a wire rack.
- When completely cooled, sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar.
- Bakes cookies can be stored frozen for up to 3 months sealed in an airtight, freezer safe container or baggie.